Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Uh-Oh Spaghettio

It was my 8th grade year and I was "volunteered" to waitress in our school's annual spaghetti supper fundraiser. Ever since I was a kid I have had a hard time with the word "no." I despise telling people no. To this day, this is one of those occasions in life that I really wished I would have found the courage to just say no.

It was the night of the spaghetti supper. Me and my friend Sonya were sharing a big table. Things were going surprisingly smoothly. That was until a certain little man walked in. He came all by himself. He had on a purple coat and the only way to describe him would be to say he was an "odd little man." And of course I bet you can't guess where he sat down! He waltzed in and sat down at my table on my side of the table. Just around the time he sat down we had a shortage of spaghetti. I brought him his drink and salad and kindly explained to him that the spaghetti would be out as soon as they were able to make more. He looked flustered and said,"Oh, alright."

Finally the spaghetti was ready and I knew exactly who would be getting the first plate! The strange little man with the purple coat. When he saw me coming I am pretty sure the "Chariots of Fire" soundtrack started playing in his head. I brought him his plate and his eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. I told him, "I finally have your spaghetti, sir!" His response? "Oh, wonderful" as he excitedly rubbed his hands together. He must have been really excited because he started grabbing for the plate of spaghetti. That is when it happened. Everything turned to slow motion. You could hear my "Noooo" in slow motion as the plate of spaghetti flipped over and covered him from his neck down. All I saw was Red! He was completely covered! And what did I do? I RAN!!!

Meanwhile Sonya was scurrying around trying to keep her side of the table happy. She was walking past the table when she heard,"Miss? Miss?" She looked over and the little man with the purple coat was covered in spaghetti! She said,"what happened to you?" His response? "That girl!" All that Sonya could think was,"Oh, Janel. I should have known!"

Meanwhile I had just made it to the kitchen. I ran in and found the head of the spaghetti supper. He could see I was nervous and asked me what was wrong. "I need help. I need alot of help. I. spilled...spaghetti. on..a man" was my response. He tried to stifle a chuckle and handed me a roll of paper towels and told me to go back out and help him clean up. "I'm going to need more than one roll for this mess" I thought to myself. I then told him"I am not going back out there."

Sonya being the wonderful friend that she is helped him clean up while I hid in the kitchen. Sonya, I am indebted to you for life for doing that for me.

Once the dust or should i say "spaghetti" had settled I went back out to apologize. He graciously accepted my apology. Let's just say by the time the whole ordeal was finally over my face was the color of the spaghetti he was wearing!

Moral of this story? JUST SAY NO!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment